Week Seven- Exposed to Gravity

Exposed to Gravity

“Gravity is very noticeable to me since my muscles cannot stand in opposition to it”. (Curtis, 1997,157) with being in a wheel chair Curtis if he leans to far will fall, instead of thinking he is falling he uses surfaces and momentum to reach the ground quicker. “Most of the time I just prepare to meet the ground”. (Curtis, 1997, 158) I like the approach Bruce has to this and he isn’t scared of falling he simply accepts is and goes with the momentum.

“A dance form that uses movement, gravity and their relationship to each other as revealed through changing points of balance, seemed ideal for people like myself whose daily interaction with their environment is grounded in the same experiences”. (Curtis, 1997, 158) I agree with Bruce as Contact Improvisation is all about changing points of balance and I think he is right that it will further his own dance technique and help him discover new ways to move his body.  At first key parts of Contact Improvisation Curtis had to learn was keeping his eyes open, looking for opportunities to support your partner, don’t give or take weight without listening to your partner, don’t get lost inside your own head, mutual agreement of movement, don’t have your own image in your mind, stay in the present moment. All of these are key to learning Contact Improvisation. Contact Improvisation is about “being spontaneous and playing together with gravity”. (Curtis, 1997, 158)

Curtis found after a while of practicing Contact Improvisation music was not necessary and he began to listen to his partner.

I found it interesting when Bruce and Overland started to work together as they were both in wheelchairs. The difficulties that they encounter was how they couldn’t have much contact due to the wheelchairs but as they started to practice more they realized that the wheelchairs weren’t obstacles. I also liked how Overland managed to come out of her chair and back in it with the support of Bruce and they played with this a lot. I like that what Bruce thought were problems they were actually opportune within the piece, such as if his leg spammed instead of worrying use that within the piece.

From this reading and watching in class I think the main point of the reading is not to be scared of your body whether you have a disability or not. It is also key to communicate with your partner. With Bruce being in a wheelchair him and his partner had to listen to each other and to support each other them needed to listen. In class they learnt how to support each other’s weight in jumps and lifts and in the contact jam they listened to each other and supported each other like Bruce does with his partner.

Bibliography

Curtis, B. (1988). Exposed to Gravity. Contact Quarterly/ Contact Improvisation Sourcebook I, Vol. 13. Northampton: Contact Editions.